Our Access Statement
Access Statement for the Alamah Guest House, Harrogate, UK
We aim to cater for the needs of every person who visits the Alamah Guest House.
However the house is 120 years old and is built on a hill and therefore there are steps to gain access to the front door, details of which are listed in the ‘Arrival and Car Parking’ section of this document.
All 8 bedrooms are on the first or second floor, up at least 17 stairs, which has a sturdy handrail on one side only (14 stairs in the case of Room 1 – an ensuite single room and Room 8 – an ensuite double room). Room 5 – an ensuite double room is up another 11 stairs and Rooms 6 – an ensuite twin / superking room and Room 7 – an ensuite family room are up an additional 5 stairs, making a total of 33 stairs.
- We are approximately half a mile to the town centre and less than mile to the bus and train stations. There is a bus stop within 250 metres of the house with a frequent service.
- There are several local taxi companies with whom we can book in advance for you.
- Guest Room Information, menus and fire regulations can be provided in large print if required. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in Braille.
- Our website www.alamah.co.uk provides photographs of our accommodation and further information about the services we provide.
- Guests can contact us by telephone or email. Please see the ‘Contact Information’ section of this document for full details.
Arrival and Car Parking
- Guests should advise us of their anticipated time of arrival so that we can be sure we are here to welcome them.
- We have off-street parking for cars the length of a Ford Focus or shorter. This is at the rear of the Guest House clearly marked with a sign ALAMAH CAR PARK. We give guests a permit to park on a nearby road if they have a longer car.
- On arrival we ask guests to come to the front door. From the road there are 13 steps of approximately 7”. 6 of these steps have no hand rail and can be avoided by using a slope which loops around the front flower bed.
- From the Car Park there is a slope all the way past the side of the house.
- For guests with restricted mobility, parking in the Car Park, who can climb the stairs in the house, we offer access through our private accommodation via the back door, (as long as it isn’t during Breakfast Service) thus avoiding the steps to the front door.
We are very happy to offer any assistance with luggage.
- To access the front door there are steps (listed above) with a handrail to one side.
- There are two front doors. The inner front door is kept locked and there is a Reception Bell in the porch (original Victorian tiles) at a height of 3’3”. The doorway is 32” wide.
- On arrival guests are required to complete our registration form (large print format available) and will then be shown to their rooms when they will be provided with keys to their room and the front doors. There is one chair in the hall and others can be quickly provided if needed.
Guest Accommodation – Public Areas
- Our Breakfast Room is on the ‘ground floor’ and is accessed from our Reception Hall. It is approximately 16’ x 14’6”, with a large bay window overlooking Kings Road. The room is carpeted and has background music playing during breakfast.
- Seating is flexible, as our tables are ideal for two people and yet can be placed together to create bigger tables for larger parties. Chairs have seat cushions and are without arms. Menus can be provided with a larger print if preferred.
- Breakfast is waitress service.
- Special dietary requirements are catered for. Specific details are always welcome.
- Information on places to visit within the local area is freely available in the entrance porch, the hall and in the Breakfast Room there is a small library of books about the Yorkshire area for guests’ use. We try to be as helpful as possible in advising on locations to visit and places to eat.
- The stairs are 34” wide and 7” deep with a 10” tread and are fitted with a short pile carpet.
- There is no public toilet available.
Guest Accommodation - Bedrooms
- There is central heating throughout the house which is on during the day until after midnight. Guests can control the temperature of their bedroom and shower room with the thermostat fitted to the radiators. All rooms have a fitted carpet.
- Available in all rooms are Room Browsers with information about the local area and a Guest Information Folder (available in large print).
- Each bedroom has an electric kettle and hospitality tray with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar, biscuits and bottled water. Each room also has a remote controlled digital flat screen TV, an electric hairdryer and an alarm clock radio with iPod dock.
- Bedroom doors are between 29” and 32”. Bed height is generally 23”. All rooms have a dressing table space, wardrobe and the appropriate number of bed side tables and chairs.
Room dimensions are given below, generally with the ensuite shower room taken off the overall measurement.
- Room 1, an ensuite single room is 10’6” x 7’6”. The ensuite shower room is an additional space and has a 7” step into the shower.
- Room 2, an ensuite double room is 14’ x 14’ and has a 9.5” step into the shower.
- Room 3, an ensuite twin room is 16’6” x 11’ with an 11” step into the shower.
- Room 4, an ensuite single room is 10’2” x 5’3”. The ensuite shower room is 10’2” x 3’7” with a 7.5” step into the shower.
- Room 8, an ensuite double room is 13’10” x 8’2” max. The shower room is an additional space with a 9.5” step into the shower.
- Room 5, an ensuite double room is 13’6” x 12’ with a 10.5” step into the shower.
- Room 6, an ensuite twin / super king room is 13’6” X 13’6” with an 8” step into the shower.
- Room 7, our ensuite family room is 15’ x 13’6”. The shower room is 8’5” x 5’2” with a 10” step into the shower.
- All bathrooms have vinyl flooring.
- All rooms are ensuite. The average height of the basins in the shower room is 31” and toilets are standard height in Rooms 3, 4, 6 and 7. In Rooms 1, 2, 5 and 8 toilets are higher at 18”. There is a handle fitted within the shower of Room 3.
- Wi-Fi is available for guest use
- All mobile phone signals are generally good
- We comply with the Smoke Free law and therefore there is nowhere to smoke within the house. At the front of the house there is a stone bench and ashtray provided for smokers.
- There are fire extinguishers on each floor (serviced annually) and information of what to do in an emergency is in all rooms. The fire alarm rings continuously if evacuation is needed. Please advise us if you have a hearing impairment and may not hear this. Evacuation is down the stairs and through the front door.
- We are happy to refrigerate any medication for guests.
- For medical issues or if you are feeling unwell and need a telephone health assessment, please call the NHS 111 service free of charge from any phone by dialling "1 1 1".
Address: Alamah Guest House, 88 Kings Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 5JX, UK
Telephone: 01423 502187
Future Plans for Alamah Guest House
- Summer 2012 – Upgrade of the Fire Alarm System to include lit sounders in all rooms and public areas.
- We also aim to fit a hand rail to the lower steps from the road. Currently an alternate route is offered via a slope.
Completed in Autumn 2012.
This Statement is next due for review in January 2016.
If you require further details or have any comments about the services we provide please do not hesitate to contact us.
Judy Penketh Sue Tindall
Proprietors, Alamah Guest House
Now > Book Now Let us
To You > Request Now Things to
do Out &
About > Explore Now
Our guests have commented during the last year:
Excellent as always.
This has been an excellent place to stay, very friendly and exceptionally handy for the Conference Centre.
This is probably the best B & B (or hotel) I have stayed in. It is exceptional value for money. Well done Judy and Sue.
We both agree this has been the best in all aspects of all similar Guest Houses, either of us has experienced.
Could not wish for better. Fantastic place - thank you both.
I can't find fault with anything - your hangers are great as nothing slides off!
We'll be back! Love this place - thank you for your hospitality!
Really enjoyable stay in a lovely property with excellent hosts. Thanks.
Extremely friendly. Many thanks.
Friendly, professional and very helpful with any queries. Happy to stay again.
Wonderful stay, well looked after by friendly and helpful owners. Thank you ladies, I will return one day, but this time with my wife!!
Great hospitality, toiletries and drink provision in room - TV nice and big - bed comfy - best B & B I have stayed in so far.
So welcoming and comfortable we don't want to leave! Thank you Judy and Sue.
A very enjoyable stay, friendly and willing to please. Thank you.
We really appreciate how nice and helpful you both have been with us. We have had a great time, thanks.
Had a lovely stay here. Very friendly proprietors made us feel really welcome. We will return.
Best Guest House I have stayed in - better than a 4 star hotel!
We've had a fantastic stay. Thank you for looking after us so well and giving us a huge welcome. A most enjoyable stay! Will be recommending to everyone.
Never felt so at home in any other hotel or Guest House. Will definitely recommend to anybody looking for accommodation in Harrogate.
Very pleased with our stay - Judy and Sue were very welcoming.
We have had a lovely stay. Judy and Sue could not have been more welcoming and friendly. The room was perfect for our needs. We will certainly tell our frineds to stay here if they come to Harrogate.
Such a pleasure to be looked after by Judy and Sue. Faultless service. Thank you.
Thank you for yet another lovely stay.
We used Trip Advisor to find a suitable place to stay and it came up trumps. We will definitely book with you for our next stay. We wish you both all the best for the future and will review on Trip Advisor.
Very warm and friendly stay. We were made to feel at home. Everything was excellent and could not be improved in any way.
Simply perfect! A warm welcome, comfortable, clean and a very pleasant stay. Thank you.
So accommodating and attentive - lovely stay here on business but would definitely use for family as well. Thank you.
Extremely clean, fantastic service, excellent food. Nothing could have improved my stay. Thank you ladies.
One of the nicest Bed and Breakfast places we ever stayed - great service and loads of smiles.
This was our first stay in Alamah Guest House. We would definitely come again and will recommend to family and friends. Thank you Judy and Sue.
We had a lovely stay here at the Alamah. The hospitality has been outstanding!
You both have been very welcoming and helpful in suggesting places to visit / eat etc. Thank you for a great stay!
We have had a lovely stay and the service has been fantastic. Sue and Judy are friendly and approachable.
Great to be met by a smiling, friendly host. Information provided was very helpful. Overall, a lovely place, very comfortable.
Excellent stay with very sociable hosts. Would recommend to anyone visiting this area.
I have enjoyed my stay. Judy and Sue have been wonderful hosts. I would not hesitate to recommend this B & B to friends or family.
Made to feel very welcome throughout. A lovely stay, thank you.
We have had a wonderful time. Thank you for excellent service.
We've had a really lovely visit to Harrogate - staying with you has been faultless - comfortable, friendly, helpful, altogether perfect! Thank you.
Very good proprietors. Always helpful and very pleasant. Thank you Judy and Sue.
Great attention to detail. First class service. Would definitely recommend to friends.
Outstanding hospitality was extended by Ms Judy and Sue. Perfect guidance provided for places of interest and direction and transport for the same. We had a great stay and would definitely enjoy coming back to Alamah!
A lovely stay. Thank you.
Thank you - you have been wonderful hosts.
I will be back for work and will never stay anywhere else as you have made my stay truly memorable. Thank you so much.
Perfect . . . . exceeded all expectaions. Thank you! I will be back with my team and will pass on this gem. Your hospitality made me feel warm and welcome while the room was a joy!
Lovely accommodations. I hope my company approves more trips to Harrogate!
Late booking, but wise choice!!
This was our 3rd stay at the Alamah but certainly not our last.
A super high quality of cleanliness in a very comfortable room. Breakfast always tasty and super fast. Thank you.
Enjoyed my time here immensely. Judy and Sue made us feel very welcome and went out of their way to help us get the most out of our stay.
Excellent hosts, breakfasts great A ++++
Would definitely stay again and recommend to other companies. Many thanks.
Love the photos.
Lovely helpful friendly people. Will recommend and would return again - absolutely!
Judy and Sue are very good hosts and very helpful - thank you.
Our first visit to the Alamah, but will not be our last, excellent stay. Thank you Judy and Sue.
A very enjoyable stay. Will definitely recommend to anyone visiting Harrogate! Very clean!
The welcoming friendly atmosphere at the Alamah makes it the ideal place for a break in Harrogate and definitely one you would wish to return to.
We plan to return here next time we are in Harrogate.
Our best stay in Harrogate - thanks very much.
Great hosts and lovely Guest House. Thank you.
We were made to feel very welcome and looked after like superstars. Many thanks.
A delightful and relaxing few days, thanks again!
Keep us the good work as you run an excellent Guest House. We would hightly recommend you to our family and friends.
Booking over the internet can be a gamble, but this home has proved to be a winner. Thank you very much Judy and Sue..
Thank you very much for making my stay so homely.
Looking forward to another visit next year.
Loved our stay - very friendly and helpful hosts. Thank you Judy and Sue.
Wonderful stay, thanks! We couldn't fault anything.
We've had a lovely stay at the Alamah Guest House, we'll definitely be recommending to friends coming to stay in Harrogate. Thanks for the candle in my sausage! It was a very special birthday! PS I really like the bedsheets!
Very friendly. Nothing is too much trouble.
Short time we stayed here we really enjoyed it. Judy and Sue couldn't have been more helpful and I am sure we will be back - 5* + +
We have thoroughtly enjoyed our stay and would like to thank you for the hospitality provided.
Staff welcoming and warm.
This is the third time that my daughter and I have stayed here. From the initial contact to book, through the arrival procedure etc both Judy and Sue always make us feel very welcome in their fabulous home. We cannot fault anything and will return.
We would happily recommend the Alamah to our frineds.
Lovely welcoming place to stay. Judy and Sue are fab and friendly. Will definitely stay here again.
We are extremely satisfied - good advice on local sights and restaurants - will recommend to our friends. Thank you.
Very good stay. Would come again if in the area. Judy and Sue made us very welcome and would recommend them to others.
Delightful music with breakfast. Very helpful and good knowledge of the area.
A wonderful place to stay. So welcoming and relaxed. Fab hosts. Thank you so much for my birthday weekend. We will be back xx
Made to feel very welcome and comfortable. We really appreciated the train times and information. Thanks for a lovely stay.
The fact that we have stayed here several times before speaks for itself. Once again thank you Judy and Sue for looking after us so well. No request is ever too much trouble and we enjoy our friendly chats with you both. See you again soon!
"Smiley face" breakfast was wonderful.